Aging has its perks. Not only do older adults get to enjoy greater maturity and wisdom that comes from a lifetime of experience, but they also get access to an exclusive club filled with tantalizing discounts. Here’s a list of some of the places you can save a little just because you are in your golden years.
Travel the World (While Saving Some Serious Cash)
Retirement means finally having the time to travel. Whether you’re heading out to visit family or simply taking the trip of a lifetime, you’ll find a number of hotels and other travel-themed companies that provide discounts. Here are some of the top ones.
- Amtrak – If you’re 62 or older, you can get 15 percent off your Amtrak tickets for that cross-country train ride.
- Best Western – Save a minimum of 10 percent at this hotel if you’re age 55 and older or an AARP member.
- Budget – Save 20 percent on your rental car from Budget if you rent Sunday through Thursday as an AARP member. If you need to rent on the weekend, save 10 percent.
- Choice Hotels – Choice Hotels spans a number of popular locations, including Sleep Inn, Comfort Inn and Quality Inn. AAPR members or those age 60 and older can save 10 percent with advanced reservations.
- Greyhound – Save 5 percent if you’re age 62 and older on bus fare.
- Howard Johnson – Save 20 percent off the best available rate for being 60 or older.
- Hilton Worldwide – Any Hilton family hotel will offer 10 percent off for seniors.
- Hyatt – Score an impressive rate up to 50 percent off at Hyatt.
- La Quinta Inn and Suites – AARP members can save up to 10 percent on their room rates.
- Marriott – After age 62, you can save at least 15 percent on your stay at a Marriott hotel.
- Motel 6 – AARP members not only get 10 percent off their stay, but they also are able to access the fee-based Wi-Fi for free and can check out later than younger guests.
Dine Out on a Dime
Ok, you’re not going to get a meal for a dime, but senior discounts are common at restaurants of all types. Keep in mind that alcoholic beverages are typically excluded from these discounts. Consider these for your next meal out:
- Bonefish Grill – If you love fresh fish, you can get a 15 percent discount at this restaurant.
- Bubba Gump Shrimp Company – Another seafood inspired restaurant that also offers southern-style cooking, Bubba Gump offers 10 percent off to AARP members.
- Denny’s – This popular American Grill restaurant doesn’t just offer a discount for seniors, it offers an entire menu with discounts for those age 55 and older.
Dunkin Donuts – Purchase a large or extra-large beverage and receive a free donut if you are an AARP member.
- IHOP – IHOP serves up its own special discounted senior citizen menu, available for those age 55 and older.
- Outback Steakhouse – Save 15 percent off your in-restaurant order as an AARP member. Some restaurants may not participate in this particular discount.
- Rainforest Cafe – Save 10 percent off your meal as an AARP member.
Go on a Shopping Spree
Do you want a new wardrobe? Consider these retailers which offer senior discounts:
- Banana Republic – Enjoy a 10 percent discount for those age 62 and older at this chic clothing store.
- Belk – Shop at Belk on the first Tuesday of each month to enjoy exclusive discounts. All you need is an ID proving you are 55 or older.
- Consumer Cellular – Get rates as low as $10 a month on a cell phone plan as an AARP member from Consumer Cellular.
- Dress Barn – Seniors age 62 and older get 10 percent off on either Wednesday or Tuesday, depending on store policies.
- Goodwill – Get an even greater bargain on Wednesdays at Goodwill when those age 55 and older save 20 percent on purchases.
- Harris Teeter – Stock up on supermarket essentials on Thursdays to save 5 percent if you’re at least 60.
- Kohl’s – Wednesdays is senior discount day at Kohl’s, when those age 55 and older can claim 15 percent off with ID.
- Michael’s – Stock up on craft and hobby supplies for a 10 percent discount after age 55.
Fill Your Hours with Entertainment
Finally, you can enjoy exceptional entertainment a lower price as a senior. Here are some locations to check out.
- AMC – Catch a favorite flick at your local AMC for a lower price. Seniors age 60 and older can purchase discounted tickets.
- Ancestry World Explorer – Now that you have some extra time, dive into your ancestry with this online subscription-based service. You’ll get 30 percent off as a member of AARP.
- LiveNation.com – AARP members can get exclusive discounts, including two-for-one deals, on live music concerts purchased through the website or app.
What’s your favorite place for senior discounts? Chime in with the comments so we can add to our list!